Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. #1
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Last edited by cradeldorf; December 16th, 2012 at 01:55 AM.

  2. #2
    Senior Hostboard Member rontec's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 20th, 2009
    Posts
    134
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    Interesting crossover. 12db/octave slope?

  3. #3
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    I have no idea, It's a series crossover I think. I don't really get how it works. They used the inductor to attenuate the HF. I was thinking of building a pair but I wouldn't be able to do the taps on the inductors. All I would be able to do is build an un-attenable one. I wonder if I could use another small inductor to imitate the original attenuation or if it wouldn't work because it has to be part of the LF inductor?
    Last edited by cradeldorf; December 16th, 2012 at 01:07 AM.

  4. #4
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    cradledorf,

    Thanks for posting the N-1600-A. It's one of the few Altec duplex crossovers I never had the opportunity to open up and examine. It's a series crossover, as you suspected, using first-order filters and taps on the inductor for HF attenuation steps. You could recreate it with mutiple inductors, or substitute a continously variable resistor shelving control instead like the N-1500-A used later on with the 604E.

    Jeff

  5. #5
    Senior Hostboard Member cradeldorf's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 16th, 2010
    Location
    Muskegon Mi.
    Posts
    1,334
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    Thanks Jeff, I used the sketch I made as I was dissecting it and the Altec 604E schematic you have on your site to put it all together. Hopefully it helps others because a N-1600-A schematic on the net is pretty much non existent. Since were on the subject, I understand the variable resistor on the "E" crossover (R2) but what purpose does the other resistor have (R1)? Considering the size I would be tempted to assume it's an attempt at a zobel?
    Last edited by cradeldorf; December 16th, 2012 at 03:14 PM.

  6. #6
    Senior Hostboard Member Earl K's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    513
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    I have no idea, It's a series crossover I think. I don't really get how it works. They used the inductor to attenuate the HF. I was thinking of building a pair but I wouldn't be able to do the taps on the inductors. All I would be able to do is build an un-attenable one. I wonder if I could use another small inductor to imitate the original attenuation or if it wouldn't work because it has to be part of the LF inductor?
    - Here's a calculator ( from LHF ) that might help you build your own autotransformer ( though , I've never used it ).

    - Ostensibly, your coils should be kept together so that they are working as a single, unified inductor / but the problem with that, is that Mutual Inductance of all the coils together gives a final inductance figure that is larger than the sums ( of the individual coils ) .

    - ie; One can't simply add a .75mH coil onto a 2.25mH coil and expect the resulting coils inductance will be 3 mH ( assuming you stack the coils in their proper orientation & that they are wired in series the result will be larger than 3 mH ) .

    27

    - Running one example ( to find the winding ratio for the -6 db point ) is; power of 10(-6/20) = .5012

    - Running another ( to find the winding ratio for the -3 db point ) is; power of 10(-3/20) = .708




  7. #7
    Senior Hostboard Member jmarkwart's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 6th, 2002
    Posts
    210
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: Altec N-1600-A crossover schematic.

    Quote Originally Posted by cradeldorf View Post
    Thanks Jeff, I used the sketch I made as I was dissecting it and the Altec 604E schematic you have on your site to put it all together. Hopefully it helps others because a N-1600-A schematic on the net is pretty much non existent. Since were on the subject, I understand the variable resistor on the "E" crossover (R2) but what purpose does the other resistor have (R1)? Considering the size I would be tempted to assume it's an attempt at a zobel?
    cradledorf,

    You're right about N-1600A references being hard to find on the net.

    R1 & R2 on the N-1500A crossover provide a voltage divider to selectively shunt part of the HF energy going to the HF driver. This is a simple type of "tone control" that does not have constant impedance like an L pad attenuator, but is pretty close to the desired impedance when adjusted to the "normal" listening level. When adjusted, it varies from constant impedance a bit more. Simple but effective.

    Jeff

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.